A few questions about the Halo

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• @Ari said in A few questions about the Halo:

1. I understand your request, but it can be added due to the hardware limits indeed, the projector needs a small part to be installed to test the battery storage, that's why it shows the "battery" instead of battery *%.
      We can't just ask all customers to send the projector back to China and disassemble each one to add the parts, so we'll try our best to work on the software support, make it more accurate to show the battery on the screen. Appreciate your understanding.

Except the hardware you're talking about is already in place! How else would you be displaying the "rough" battery percentage? Some sort of measuring must be in place for protection and such - all I'm asking is that you display the percentage and not hide it.

1. Projector is different from other devices, there is no specical security for it. 😞 But we'll always there whenever any issue happens. And some issues can only be fixed in the firmware update, not like the regular update from phone or PC.

Google releases security updates to Android TV (regardless if the implementing device is a full-blown TV, a set top box, or a projector).

And what is this BS about the "firmware update" being different to "regular" updates on phones and PCs?

1. The battery limits is original setup to protect the system, appreciate your understanding.

Again, I get it, but those things can be changed 🙂 All I'm saying is, that based on user feedback, you could optimise the required percentage of battery capacity for an update.

1. it's from the system setup as well, we can't take every projector for the same situation, appreciate your understanding.

No, this is a SOFTWARE issue. And apparently it only happens with a handful of devices - my laptop, for example, had no problem reconnecting to the projector, but a HomeAssistant system I'm running (it's a Python app running on a Linux server, connecting via the same standard ADB) has the "forgotten keys" issue.

1. Thanks in advance

For the other issues, please email to service@xgimi.com, attaching the related pictures or video, I'll check it for you. 🙂

How could I make a video of HDR not being available, when I can't roll the update back?

The only issue listed that I can actually capture on video is the volume setting, but that should be obvious for you in the factory too - just turn a Halo unit on, long press volume up/down and observe that nothing happens, you need to repeatedly press and release the volume button for it to change properly.

Also, any chance you could do something about the spam on the forum?

It's incredibly annoying. I keep reporting it, but nothing seems to happen. If you need help

• @fonix232
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, I've been managing the spam post all the time, and more auto-features would be done soon. 🙂
    Also, please join the Facebook group for a better comunication.
    Mogo group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/397245941024735/
    Halo group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/429334661330396/

• @Ari why do you have a forum if you want to communicate on Facebook? I think that's quite unprofessional. Nonetheless, I joined the group.

On the other hand I'd have another request. Since you base your software on Android TV, which is running on the Linux kernel, which is covered by GPLv2, I'd like you to publish the source code for the kernel itself, and any other GPLv2 covered bits and pieces of the Halo firmware. And if possible, a full stock firmware image of the Halo as well.

Also, is there any chance that the next update of the Halo would be compiled for ARMv8? The SoC in the Halo (Amlogic T950X2) is a 64 bit SoC, and should support 64 bit software, yet the whole system was compiled in armv7l mode only. Android is slowly transitioning to 64 bit only applications (a bunch of software is 64 bit only already!), and releasing a product limited to 32bit severely impacts the available apps. I for one wanted to install the Plex Media Server designed for the Nvidia Shield, however since it's armv8/64bit only, it cannot be installed...

• This post is deleted!

• @Ari please, try to find any solution with your team on these issues mentioned by @fonix232 or post some updates on this topic.

I can confirm this issue too: "after about 2-2.5 hours of usage, there's a visible jump as the device "focuses", only to ruin the currently established focus. The device is NOT moved during these times, and is sitting peacefully on a chest of drawers, completely stable."

Has anybody problem with HDMI and PS/STB like this guy?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAn2MusCDuo

This is most important thread on Halo here for me!
    Thank you.

• @wincore Hi, good day. sorry for the late reply. Hope you guys had a nice weekend. 🙂

But I've checked all the issues here. 😞

1. battery percentage. As I've mentioned before, Halo needs a small part to test how much battery left. There is no way to get the data, even the rough battery percentage needs to be tested as well, so to display it at the home page, this small part is to test the data, since there is no way to get it via software. That's why. Appreciate your understanding.

2. Sorry to say this, but it's the truth, Halo is running the official android tv system, which is from google side. Google would update their own system regularly.

3. For the focus issue, part of Halo lens is made of resin materials, it gets softer in warm environment, so the focus would lose a little as the temperature goes higher, that's why we suggest to focus after 20 minutes using. Or turn on the dynamic focal lengh compensation-- help to focus on the back ground.

4. The HDMI video on youtube, it's the key issue, so that projector needs maintenance. If your Halo has the HDMI connection issue, please email to service@xgimi.com, I'll check it at the earliest. 🙂

• @salmanmunawar said in A few questions about the Halo:

@fonix232 I totally agree with you on the Facebook. I don't use Facebook and don't attend to join it. How is joining Facebook group going to solve these issues?

I am so glad I am not the only one raising these issues.

It's not going to help, and it's only muddying the waters - you report the issue here, you get directed to Facebook, you report it there, and they can claim it "got lost" and that's why it is being delayed.

Halo is a great projector but it has issues that can resolved with software updates. I didn't even know about 32bit and 64bit issue you highlighted but that can resolved with software update if xgimi cares for it's customer needs.

The 32b vs 64b issue most likely comes from the BSP they received from Amlogic - the SOC manufacturer tends to limit the default BSP to 32bit even on their latest devices, and the device manufacturer needs to finetune this.

Luckily, Xgimi did not disable the kernel config exposure during runtime, so I was able to grab a copy and verify a few things, one of them being that it's indeed targeting armv7l instead of aarch64/armv8. Which will be a big issue - as I said for example I'm unable to run Plex Media Server on it, which only has builds for the Nvidia SHIELD TV. I bought a portable projector so that I can grab it and go to a park with friends, but Plex does not support sync for TV devices, thus can't easily make it work in circumstances when there's no WiFi.

I could buy a SHIELD TV Pro, but that would add extra volume (and power needs) to the overall device.

HDR issue

HDR is a big one. Top reason I bought Halo. Even worse xgimi disabled in the last update instead of fixing the tone map. Everything plays in SDR especially from the Android TV apps. Halo homepage still says HDR decoding it is false advertisement. I was able to tweak HDR when connected to PC by playing with image setting from Nvidia control but that totally screwed up SDR content.

I completely agree. I don't mind HDR being disabled if it's not working.

Another thing that I noticed - the battery claims are completely false. The battery in the Halo is a 12.6V unit, made up of three 18650 cells - each of them 4.2V, so connected in series. But the packaging also claims to be 5400mAh - which is impossible for a 18650 cell, the largest ones are 3500-3600mAh at most, and those can't safely power this device. Since it needs a 90W charger, I'd presume at the 12.6V the battery provides, it would need at least a 10A continuous discharge rate to be safe (and as someone who has a bit of technical expertise in the field, 15A would be ideal due to overhead and sudden power spikes e.g. when the projector light turns on in standby mode). Given the price of 18650 cells that are capable of 10A discharge and have 3000+mAh capacity, I doubt they were used as such. But the 17000mAh claimed battery capacity still doesn't add up, even with knowing the energy density, which is 59.454Wh:

• At 3.6V (which is the nominal battery voltage for Li-Ion cells), the capacity is 16500mAh
    • At 3.3V (which is most likely the board's main operating voltage, as it is for most electronics), the capacity is 18000mAh
    • At 5V (which would be the "powerbank output" which most likely doesn't happen, since the board has an internal LiPo interface and power regulator) the capacity is 11890mAh

No matter how I'm looking at it, the capacity simply cannot match the advertised one.

Here are the interior shots of the Halo, courtesy of the FCC.

@Ari said in A few questions about the Halo:

@wincore Hi, good day. sorry for the late reply. Hope you guys had a nice weekend. 🙂

But I've checked all the issues here. 😞

1. battery percentage. As I've mentioned before, Halo needs a small part to test how much battery left. There is no way to get the data, even the rough battery percentage needs to be tested as well, so to display it at the home page, this small part is to test the data, since there is no way to get it via software. That's why. Appreciate your understanding.

Ari dear, you can keep repeating this, it won't make it true. Somehow you already report battery percentage - otherwise the updater wouldn't cry below 50%, and the battery icon on the home screen wouldn't work!

1. Sorry to say this, but it's the truth, Halo is running the official android tv system, which is from google side. Google would update their own system regularly.

And again, untrue. Google has already released not just Android 10 for Android TV, but there's an Android 11 preview ongoing right now! And Google releases security updates for TV on a monthly schedule - I should know, since my day job is basically developing an applications framework for my company's various channels, and I can clearly see the statistics, including security patch updates.

The reason why you're not getting security updates is because you're sticking to Android TV 9. Update to 10 already, and we will have monthly updates. Even better, start open sourcing your work, let the community help!

1. For the focus issue, part of Halo lens is made of resin materials, it gets softer in warm environment, so the focus would lose a little as the temperature goes higher, that's why we suggest to focus after 20 minutes using. Or turn on the dynamic focal lengh compensation-- help to focus on the back ground.

I monitor my device's temperature, and it doesn't change considerably - in fact I keep it turned on 24/7, with the projection part disabled (so it's awake, but dark). However automatic refocusing - even if it's not needed since the image is crystal clear - does happen randomly. Sometimes my Halo can go for 3-4 hours without refocusing, sometimes it happens every 10 minutes, regardless of heat.

• This post is deleted!

• You need to review the written instructions on the device which will help you to proper working on the device.Many students use the bleutooth device to get the writing service hlep from the https://aussieessayreviews.com/review-of-edubirdie-com-services/ site option where many writing options available in the form of edubirdie review option available for many students.

• @Happled said in A few questions about the Halo:

You need to review the written instructions on the device which will help you to proper working on the device.Many students use the bleutooth device to get the writing service hlep from the https://aussieessayreviews.com/review-of-edubirdie-com-services/ site option where many writing options available in the form of edubirdie review option available for many students.

Thank you for sharing the wonderful tips options to working tthe halo device in good way.

• @Ari said in A few questions about the Halo:

We'll update the firmware every quarter of the year.

Hello @Ari

Why there is no firmware update available for the Halo in Q4, since you promised you'll do updates every quarter?
    The last one was at the begining of Q3 in July, if I'm not mistaken, so almost half an year ago.

What about the status of Netflix certification? Do you need some help, because I have some connections in Netflix.

Best regards,
    optzeci

• @optzeci-gmail-com Hi, sorry for the late reply.
    Yes I did, the new firmware waw scheduled to be released around Christmas, but something happened during the verification process, it might be delayed to 8th. Jan. please be patient.
    Welcome to the Facebook for the latest news. https://www.facebook.com/groups/429334661330396

Users

Topics

Active Users